What is Directors and Officers Insurance?
Directors and Officers Insurance will provide essential protection against the financial costs of claims being made where you are deemed personally liable. If there is a time where the company is required to indemnify the Directors, this insurance will cover the losses made by the company.
Directors and Officers are legally required to act in good faith within the law and have a duty to act in the best interests of the company, and above your personal interests, and this includes a further responsibility to ensure that other directors do likewise.
If you do not, you face fines, imprisonment and compensation for damages that could involve the seizure of your personal assets, such as your home, car, properties, savings.
It is not just directors that face claims, as company officers and senior managers can also be held personally liable for their actions and many do not even realise that they could have to defend themselves from legal action. Directors and Officers Insurance will provide peace of mind in knowing that you will be able to defend yourself if the situation should arise
“DPI are always on hand to discuss insurance matters at length and are quick in assessing the complexity of issues enabling them to provide sound advice and guidance, often out of hours. I have never felt that their advice or service was compromised by budgetary constraints. We recently had a devastating fire which totally destroyed our main woodworking manufacturing facility. Our account manager was on site within a day and remained on hand to guide us throughout the complex claim process which has proved invaluable. I can, without reservation, say that DPI’s advice and service provide us with essential protection which will compliment and add value to any business or individual.” – Leonard Pitt, Shellen Construction Limited
Why choose DPI for your D&O Insurance?
Ongoing friendly service and advice year after year, at an average service rating of 4.9 out of 5 from over 240 reviews.
We have built up a large client base with our panel of A rated insurers and this relationship provides us with preferential rates on all our insurance quotes.
Professional guidance in setting sums insured, cover limits and understanding your health and safety and legal obligations is provided.
We conduct a detailed fact-find to understand all aspects of your business enabling a policy to be bespoke to your requirements.
We have a dedicated Claims team to help guide you through a claim if it should arise. We have a claims payout rate of over 95%
DPI Insurance are part of the Purple Partnership and with this specialist partnership we have additional cover to some of our policies with selected insurers.
• Two directors of a company which was in liquidation, with a total deficit of £216,000, were held jointly for £75,000 damages (plus interest and costs) arising from wrongful trading whilst the company was insolvent.
• A director who accepted an order at a trade fair but couldn’t recollect the details the following morning found himself being sued by his customer for breach of contract.
• Directors of a construction company were successfully sued for losses incurred by an architect who relied on a director’s repeated assurances that a contract performance bond had been arranged.
• A company is suing the directors of one of its competitors for allegedly breaching trade practices
• Directors were prosecuted after their failure to identify the company correctly on the company notepaper and invoices in breach of the Companies Act.
Types of claims
- Employment claims
- Breach of duty or trust
- Health and safety or manslaughter claim
- Wrongful trading under section 214 of the Insolvency Act 1986
- Pension or employee benefit scheme